Stanton Hall, one of the most magnificent houses of antebellum America, stands on a rise on High Street, bordered by Pearl Street on the west and Commerce Street on the east.
The magnificent Greek Revival-style house is surrounded by huge live oak trees more than a century old and is approached by entrances on each side leading to the front of the house.
401 High St. at Pearl St.
Open Daily: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tours every 30 minutes
Stanton Hall was built by Frederick Stanton, one of three brothers who came to America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1815. He settled in the Natchez area and married Hulda Helm. Stanton became immensely wealthy as a cotton planter and cotton commission broker.
In 1849, Stanton bought the square on which he was to build his dream house; construction was completed in 1857. Building the mansion to the designs of Natchez architect-builder Thomas Rose, Stanton spared no expense.
Though Stanton did seek some of the furnishings for his mansion from outside Natchez, his confidence in the skills of local artisans was so high that all the work on the edifice was done by Natchez architects, builders, artists and finishers.
The main hall is of impressive dimensions, with ceilings almost 17-feet high. An exquisitely carved overhead arch breaks the extreme length of the hall.
Circular arabesques embellish the ceilings, which are also bordered by narrow geometrical friezes.
Furnishings in the hall include matching bronze chandeliers, which, like those in other rooms of the house, are attributed to the Cornelius firm of Philadelphia, Pa.
To the right of the hall are a large front parlor and smaller back parlor, sometimes called a music room. Together, these rooms are 72-feet long. The length of the front parlor is broken by an elaborately carved and unsupported arch similar to the arch in the hall. Mantels in the parlors are of finest white Carrara marble, richly carved with fruits and flowers.
Silver-plated hardware is used on door knobs, hinges, key escutcheons, lock plates and call bells. Mirrors are original to the house, especially made in France. The parlor includes a matched set of highly carved Victorian furniture and a pair of pier tables with marble columns.
The beautiful carpet in both parlors is a reproduction of an 1850 Natchez design. It was made for Stanton Hall at the Ax Minster Carpet Mills in Greenville, Miss.
The small parlor contains an antique piano and an ornately carved window seat or meridienne made by John Belter of New York.
On the other side of the main hall is a library, containing an elaborately carved bookcase, two side chairs, a desk and desk chair belonging to Frederick Stanton and returned to Stanton Hall by his heirs.
Also on this side of the hall is a formal 35-foot dining room, centered with a Natchez-made dining table. Other furnishings include a set of early Empire chairs and a breakfront containing a large set of Old Paris china. Probably the most stunning items in the dining room are the many pieces of antique silver hollowware.
Some of the original Stanton Hall furnishings on display at the house include a highly carved American Gothic hat rack and two matching tall chairs.
Frederick Stanton died in 1859. His widow continued to live at Stanton Hall with her family until her death in 1893.
From 1894 to 1901 the house was used as Stanton College for Young Ladies. Following the turn of the century, the house changed hands several times.
In 1938, the Pilgrimage Garden Club bought the property and furnished it with Stanton family pieces and objects from other Natchez houses of the period.